What is now Wynns Coonawarra Estate was founded by Scottish pioneer John Riddoch, who noticed the fertility of a small strip of red soil - terra rossa - in the far south-east of South Australia. He planted vineyards in 1891 and completed the estate's three-gabled winery in 1896.
Riddoch died in 1901 and Coonawarra languished for the first half of this century. Coonawarra's revival began in 1951 when the Melbourne wine merchants Samuel and David Wynns purchased Riddoch's original vineyards and winery and renamed the property Wynns Coonawarra Estate.
The Wynns recognised the intrinsic qualities of Coonawarra wines - their richness and intenisty of fruit character - and set out to build an independent identity in the region. They created the famous label that has made John Riddoch's winery one of the Austrlia's best-known buildings.
Today Wynns Coonawarra Estate is the region's pre-eminent wine producer and largest single vineyard holder with the best and longest established vineyard sites in Coonawarra. Its wines are reguarded as benchmarks for the district, lauded for their consistent quality and depth of flavour.